{"id":11991,"date":"2025-12-29T06:19:45","date_gmt":"2025-12-29T07:19:45","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/www.globaltalenthq.com\/?p=11991"},"modified":"2025-12-29T18:36:15","modified_gmt":"2025-12-29T18:36:15","slug":"us-defends-sanctions-on-western-europeans-accused-of-digital-censorship","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"http:\/\/www.globaltalenthq.com\/index.php\/2025\/12\/29\/us-defends-sanctions-on-western-europeans-accused-of-digital-censorship\/","title":{"rendered":"US defends sanctions on Western Europeans accused of digital censorship"},"content":{"rendered":"
The Trump administration has repeatedly condemned curbs targeting online speech<\/strong><\/p>\n US Undersecretary of State Sarah Rogers has defended Washington’s decision to sanction several Europeans, saying that “extraterritorial censorship of Americans”<\/em> undermines free speech and innovation. <\/p>\n Last week, the US State Department imposed sanctions on five individuals, including British nationals Imran Ahmed and Clare Melford, German citizens Anna-Lena von Hodenberg and Josephine Ballon, and former EU Internal Market Commissioner Thierry Breton. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said those targeted had “led organized efforts to coerce American platforms to punish American viewpoints they oppose.”<\/em> <\/p>\n In an interview with the Sunday Times, Rogers said the measures were aimed at protecting free expression and the competitiveness of the US technology sector. “These are people who, in many cases, took government money to destroy American businesses for the purpose of suppressing American speech,”<\/em> she said. <\/p>\n “These are, ultimately, serious decisions that rest with the Secretary of State and take into account all of our foreign policy priorities. But free speech is one of those priorities, and so is the continued ability of the American tech sector to lead and innovate,”<\/em> she added.<\/p>\n