Month: December 2025

Police have raised the Israeli flag over the global organization’s office in East Jerusalem

The UN has condemned Israel’s raid on the headquarters of the organization’s agency for Palestinian refugees in East Jerusalem.

According to the Times of Israel, police and tax officials entered the UNRWA office on Monday as part of what they described as an operation to seize assets over unpaid municipal property taxes. UNRWA chief Philippe Lazzarini said officials seized “furniture, IT equipment, and other property.”

During the raid, police removed the UN flag and raised the Israeli flag over the compound.

“Yesterday’s storming of UNRWA’s East Jerusalem compound by Israeli police and taking control – including by replacing the UN flag with the Israeli one – creates a dangerous precedent,” Lazzarini wrote on X on Tuesday. “This should be a wake-up call. What happens today to UNRWA can happen tomorrow to any other international organization or diplomatic mission, around the world,” he added.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres condemned the operation, saying that UN offices were “inviolable and immune from any other form of interference.”

Israel banned UNRWA activities in October 2024, accusing the agency of secretly aiding and providing cover for Hamas – an allegation the UN denies.

Read more

Palestinians seek refuge in safer areas amid Israeli bombings in Gaza City, Gaza on August 26, 2025. © Abdalhkem Abu Riash/Anadolu via Getty Images
Israeli forces demolish 1,000 buildings in Gaza City – Palestinian officials

Jerusalem Deputy Mayor Arieh King defended the raid, arguing that UNRWA was not allowed to operate in East Jerusalem, which the UN considers an occupied Palestinian territory. “If it’s against the law, the law needs to be enforced,” King told the Press Service of Israel. He added that “people need to remember that UNRWA was involved in the terror attack and massacres of October 7,” referring to the Hamas assault in 2023 that triggered the war in Gaza.

Although the UN rejects Israel’s broader claim that the agency was “infiltrated by Hamas,” its own investigation in 2024 concluded that at least nine UNRWA staffers may have been involved in the October 7 attack.

The US president reportedly hopes for a deal by Christmas

US negotiators have given Ukrainian leader Vladimir Zelensky days to respond to a peace proposal requiring Kiev to accept territorial losses to Russia in exchange for unspecified security guarantees, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday, citing officials familiar with the matter.

One person told the FT that US President Donald Trump was hoping to reach a deal by Christmas. Zelensky reportedly told US envoys that he needed time to consult with Kiev’s European backers.

Although Trump had said last month that he would like to see an agreement by Thanksgiving, he later told journalists that he did not have a specific timeline.

Read more

RT composite.
Zelensky must hold elections – Trump

The US president submitted a peace plan in November that reportedly called for Ukraine to withdraw troops from part of Russia’s Donbass they currently control, one of Moscow’s key conditions for a broad ceasefire.

Zelensky acknowledged during his trip to London on Monday that the US was pushing him towards “a compromise,” but added that no agreement on territory had been reached. He reiterated that Ukraine was not willing to give up any land without a fight.

Russian troops have been making steady gains on different sections of the front line, while Ukrainian commanders say they are outgunned and struggling to replenish battlefield losses with new conscripts.

In early December, the Russian Defense Ministry announced the liberation of Krasnoarmeysk (Pokrovsk), a Donbass city President Vladimir Putin has described as an important “bridgehead” for further offensives.

Are you developing a new product? Then, you’ll probably need to know about prototype manufacturing. Prototypes are one of the most essential parts of the manufacturing process. They allow you and potential customers to see and experience the product as if it were real. Modern advances in prototyping, such as 3D printing, have opened new […]

Source

Kiev is ready to call a vote, but only if the US and European backers give it security guarantees, the Ukrainian leader has said

Ukraine’s Vladimir Zelensky has said he is willing to hold a presidential election but only if the West provides Kiev with security guarantees.

Zelensky’s presidential term expired in May 2024, and he has refused to hold a vote, citing martial law. Russia has since proclaimed him “illegitimate,” saying that legal power in Ukraine now rests with the parliament. Moscow has also pointed out that Zelensky’s status could pose problems for signing a peace deal.

On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump urged Ukraine to hold an election, while rebuking Kiev for “talk[ing] about a democracy, but it gets to a point where it’s not a democracy anymore.” In February, Trump went so far as to brand Zelensky “a dictator.”

Zelensky denied that he was trying to “cling to power,” declaring on Tuesday that he is “ready for the elections.” However, he insisted that Kiev needs help from the US and European countries “to ensure security” from recurring Russian strikes while a vote is held.

Read more

RT composite.
Zelensky must hold elections – Trump

“If that happens, Ukraine will be ready to conduct elections in the next 60 to 90 days,” Zelensky said. He added that he had not discussed the issue with Washington and that he would now ask the Ukrainian parliament to draft amendments to martial law legislation.

Trump’s remarks come amid deliberations around a US-drafted peace plan, which reportedly includes proposals that Ukraine hold elections within 100 days of reaching a ceasefire with Russia. Media reports have also indicated that Kiev and Western capitals have been grappling over the issue of post-conflict security guarantees.

Meanwhile, Zelensky’s approval rating has dropped to 20.3% following a large corruption scandal in the energy sector implicating his close associates, UNN reported, citing an Info Sapiens poll.

At the same time, Valery Zaluzhny, Zelensky’s potential primary rival and former top commander, is polling at 19.1%. While the general, now serving as the Ukrainian ambassador to the UK, has dismissed rumors of political ambitions, media reports have claimed he is secretly laying the groundwork for an electoral campaign.

The service member died in an “accident” while observing a weapons test, the Defense Ministry has said

A UK military service member has been killed in an undisclosed incident in Ukraine, the British Ministry of Defense has announced. 

“It is with deep regret that we must announce that a member of the UK Armed Forces died in Ukraine this morning,” the MOD said on X on Tuesday.

“He was injured in a tragic accident whilst observing Ukrainian forces test a new defensive capability, away from the front lines,” the ministry added, without elaborating.

According to the BBC, the incident is not thought to have been caused by hostile fire. The Telegraph cited a defense source as saying that it was the first official UK military casualty in Ukraine.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer offered condolences to the family of the fallen serviceman. “Their service and sacrifice will never be forgotten,” he wrote on X.

Read more

FILE PHOTO
Western Europe fears full US exit from Ukraine conflict – Bloomberg

Last year, the UK admitted that a “small number of personnel” were serving in a supportive role in Ukraine. London has been one of Kiev’s chief arms suppliers, and more than 56,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been trained under the British-led Operation Interflex.

Russia maintains that Western countries’ arms deliveries and training programs make them de facto participants in the conflict. Moscow has said it would treat any foreign troops on Ukrainian soil as legitimate targets.

At least 40 UK citizens have died fighting for Ukraine since 2022, according to The Telegraph.

Protecting the people in Donbass from Kiev’s troops remains the key aim, the president has stated

Russia will achieve all the goals it set out in the special military operation in Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin has said.

Some of the key aims Putin outlined in 2022 were the protection of the people of the Donetsk and Lugansk People’s Republics from Kiev’s forces, as well as the demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine.

“We will, of course, see this through to its logical conclusion, until the goals of the special military operation are achieved,” Putin said via video call at a presidential Human Rights Council meeting on Tuesday.

He added that the conflict was sparked by Ukraine sending its army into Donbass, a historically Russian region which rejected the 2014 Western-backed Maidan coup in Kiev. This forced Russia to use its military to end the conflict, according to the president.

It’s about people. People who refused to accept the coup d’état in Ukraine in 2014, and a war began against them. With artillery, heavy equipment, tanks, and aircraft. That’s when the war began. We’re trying to end it, and we’re forced to do so by force of arms.

Russia had attempted to diplomatically solve the conflict for eight years, and “signed the Minsk agreements, hoping that it could be resolved through peaceful means,” Putin told India Today last week.


READ MORE: Kiev devising new scheme to steal Western taxpayers’ money – Russian intel

However, “Western leaders openly admitted later that they never intended to honor those agreements,” only signing them to buy Ukraine time to rearm, he said.

Read more

US President Donald Trump and Vladimir Zelensky.
Trump urges Zelensky to ‘start accepting’ peace proposals

Russia has welcomed US President Donald Trump’s renewed diplomatic push based on his 28-point peace plan as the basis for a settlement.

On Monday, Trump urged Vladimir Zelensky to start accepting peace proposals, and suggested that the Ukrainian leader had not even looked through the latest US plan.

Moscow has argued that Kiev is stalling peace talks, encouraged by its backers in Western Europe. Russia has maintained that it would prefer a diplomatic settlement, but has stressed that it will push toward its goals using military means while Ukraine delays negotiations.

The meeting in Dubai set out a long-term agenda for stronger cooperation, according to a joint statement

Russia and the US have held a meeting to restore and strengthen business ties and contacts, the press service of Roscongress Foundation said on Tuesday. The two sides agreed to make the business dialogue an annual event.

According to a joint statement issued following this week’s meeting in Dubai, UAE, contacts between the Russian and American business communities should continue in a motivated and politically unbiased format.

Roscongress, the organizer of the forum together with the American Chamber of Commerce in Russia (AmCham Russia), said the meeting focused on prospects for cooperation, rebuilding mutual trust, and restoring company-to-company links.

The Russian delegation was led by Sergey Katyrin, president of the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, while AmCham Russia President and CEO Robert Agee headed the US side.

Read more

FILE PHOTO: Robert Agee.
Major US firms ‘lining up’ to return to Russia – industry boss

“Russian and American companies continue to seek solutions for implementing investment, industrial, technological, and infrastructure projects,” said Katyrin.

The participants said they hope the dialogue will improve conditions for businesses in both countries, reduce risks, and strengthen confidence.

“It is crucial for businesses to maintain working communication channels,” Agee said, adding that the US side wants to explore practical cooperation with Russian partners where possible.

Many international businesses pulled out of Russia due to the unprecedented Western sanctions imposed after the escalation of the Ukraine conflict in 2022. Others left to avoid the risk of secondary sanctions or broader international pressure.

Agee recently told Russian media that American businesses still view Russia as a promising market and are waiting for the lifting of sanctions.

The US and Russian delegations discussed opportunities across a range of sectors, including investment, industry, technology, and infrastructure projects, according to the statement.

Tokyo says it did not refuse to use $30 billion in frozen Russian reserves to back a loan for Ukraine, contrary to Politico’s reporting

The Japanese Finance Ministry has denied a report that it rejected an EU plan to tap frozen Russian central bank assets to back a loan for Ukraine.

Finance Minister Satsuki Katayama reportedly “ruled out” the bloc’s proposal to use roughly $30 billion in Russian funds immobilized in Japan for a so-called “reparations loan” to Kiev, according to Politico.

“It’s completely false,” Vice Finance Minister for International Affairs Atsushi Mimura told reporters on Tuesday, according to Reuters.

“Minister Katayama never made such a comment,” Mimura reportedly said. “She told the meeting that Japan is preparing to make specific steps” to support Ukraine, he added, according to Reuters.

Last week, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen urged EU members to choose between a major borrowing push or the long-discussed ‘reparations loan’ backed by frozen Russian funds, to finance Ukraine to a tune of €90 billion ($104 billion) over 2026-2027.


READ MORE: France won’t let EU seize chunk of frozen Russian funds – FT  

The bulk of Moscow’s immobilized reserves, around €185 billion, is held in Belgian clearing house Euroclear. Belgium has so far pushed back against EU pressure to use the assets to fund Ukraine, warning of legal risks.

Read more

RT
EU risks ‘deep split’ over push to steal frozen Russian assets – Economist

However, given that Ukraine’s budget hole is projected to reach $48 billion next year, EU officials are reportedly pressing to tap the funds.

Moscow has long condemned any attempt to use the assets as theft and warned of retaliation.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has admitted that the money could allow Kiev’s Western sponsors to temporarily sustain Ukraine’s flagging battlefield efforts.

“This money would, in principle, be enough for them to expend Ukrainians like bullets for a couple more years,” he said on Sunday.

A trust-based security framework could blunt sanctions and curb external meddling, Valdai Discussion Club speakers have told RT

Eurasian unity is essential to global stability and should be backed by a new regional security architecture, experts have told RT on the sidelines of the Valdai Discussion Club.

The conference ‘Security in Eurasia: From Concept to Practice,’ held on Tuesday in Moscow, brought together participants from Russia, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, China, and Pakistan to discuss principles for a future security framework for the region.

According to Iranian diplomat and academic Mohammad Reza Dehshiri, Eurasian states should design a security system that is “indigenous and cooperative,” countering interference by external powers such as the US and the US-led NATO.

(R) Mohammad Reza Dehshiri, Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. © Valdai Discussion Club



The region needs trust-based mechanisms, confidence-building, and stronger connectivity to prevent outside actors from destabilizing it, Dehshiri said. Security should be treated as “multidimensional,” including economic, social, cultural, and political components alongside military issues, he added.

Economic interdependence was cited as a practical foundation. Retired Indian Major General Sanjeev Chowdhry said that Eurasia’s role in a multipolar world is to deepen internal economic links, strengthen cohesion, and help ensure regional disputes do not spill over into wider confrontations. He described Eurasia as the world’s “largest geopolitical heartland” and said its unity is directly linked to global security.

Major General (Ret.) Sanjeev Chowdhry, United Service Institution of India. © Valdai Discussion Club



Iranian foreign policy expert Saeid Kharazi focused on sanctions and tariffs as a factor shaping the regional agenda. He said “hegemonic powers” are using economic tools to pressure Eurasian states, including Russia and Iran, and called for closer coordination to counter it. 

Kharazi pointed to the region’s major energy reserves and transport corridors as resources allowing Eurasian countries to meet their needs through cooperation rather than dependence on external systems. He also cited outside intervention in regional affairs as a destabilizing factor and noted the importance of Russia-Iran cooperation, including within the Eurasian Economic Union.

Saeid Kharazi, Institute for Political and International Studies of the Iranian Foreign Ministry. © Valdai Discussion Club



Bilateral and regional ties should be expanded into concrete projects in trade, agriculture, counterterrorism, and defense cooperation, said Raashid Wali Janjua of the Islamabad Policy Research Institute. According to Janjua, any Eurasian security arrangement should be able to facilitate mediation of long-running regional disputes.

Raashid Wali Janjua, Islamabad Policy Research Institute. © Valdai Discussion Club



Users under 16 will not be able to create or keep such accounts as of Wednesday

Australia is set to become the world’s first country to ban social media for children under 16, blocking them from platforms including TikTok, YouTube, Instagram and Facebook.

Approved by Parliament last year, the ban is scheduled to take effect on Wednesday. Companies that fail to comply could face penalties equivalent to up to $33 million.

“From 10 December 2025, age-restricted social media platforms will have to take reasonable steps to prevent Australians under the age of 16 from creating or keeping an account,” the government said, calling the measure a way to protect children “at a critical stage of their development.”

Platforms will be required to use a mix of signals, including account activity, viewing habits and user photos, to identify underage users. They must also stop minors from circumventing age limits by using fake IDs, AI-generated images, deepfakes or VPNs.

Tech companies have criticized the ban, describing it as “vague,” “problematic,” and “rushed.” TikTok and Meta said the law would be difficult to enforce but pledged to comply. Meta already began removing under-16 accounts ahead of the December 10 deadline. Snapchat and other platforms warned the measure could push young people toward “darker corners of the internet.” Reddit has also sharply criticized the law, calling it “legally erroneous” and “arbitrary.”

Read more

FILE PHOTO.
Meta turned blind eye to sex trafficking – court filings

Other countries are also exploring similar legislation with the expressed intent of protecting children.

The European Parliament adopted a non-binding resolution in November calling for a minimum age of 16 on social media to ensure “age-appropriate online engagement.” Denmark has proposed banning users under 15, while France, Spain, Italy, Denmark and Greece are jointly testing an age-verification app. Malaysia has announced plans to ban social-media use for under-16s starting in 2026.

Last week, Russia banned Roblox, an online gaming platform marketed largely toward children, over what it called distribution of extremist content and LGBTQ propaganda.

Concerns over child safety online have led to mounting legal pressure. Meta is facing lawsuits in the US alleging it allowed illicit content to remain on its platforms despite repeated violations, including adult strangers contacting minors, suicide, eating disorders, and child sexual abuse.