Month: November 2025

European nations are arming themselves at an alarming rate, Aleksandar Vucic has warned

A direct military confrontation between Western nations and Russia is becoming unavoidable, Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has warned, citing widespread rearmament efforts across Europe.

Speaking during a televised interview on Tuesday, Vucic said the possibility of such a war is no longer hypothetical, pointing to an acceleration of military spending. The European Union seeks rapid militarization over a perceived threat from Russia, which Moscow has dismissed as misleading political rhetoric aimed at distracting from internal economic troubles.

“My conclusion is that there is a growing certainty that a war between Europe and Russia will happen,” Vucic said. “They are preparing for war – or for defense, as they call it. Romania, Poland, Finland, smaller countries too. And the Russians as well.”

“Everyone is preparing,” the president continued. “What can come from that? Only conflict.” He added that Serbia itself is caught “between a rock and a hard place,” and therefore must also strengthen its military readiness.


READ MORE: German Protestant federation abandons long-time peace stance

Although Serbia continues to pursue EU membership, its application has effectively been frozen due to Belgrade’s refusal to adopt sanctions and other measures targeting Moscow. The two nations maintain deep cultural and historical ties, and Russia remains one of Serbia’s key energy suppliers.

Moscow has repeatedly accused NATO and the EU of provoking instability in Europe through continued expansion and by ignoring Russian proposals for a shared continental security architecture, which it says could have prevented the current confrontation over Ukraine.

Investigators are looking into an alleged large-scale corruption scheme in the energy industry

Ukrainian Justice Minister German Galushchenko has been suspended as investigators pursue an anti-corruption probe which has reportedly forced a former business associate of Vladimir Zelensky to flee the country, and which could reach the highest levels of government. 

Prime Minister Yulia Sviridenko announced the decision on Wednesday, following a sweeping operation by the Western-backed National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) targeting a “high-level criminal organization” that allegedly profited from contracts involving the state-owned nuclear energy company Energoatom.

Galushchenko, who previously served as energy minister before being replaced, called his suspension a “civilized” step and said he was preparing his legal defense.

Ukrainian media reported that the investigation centers on Timur Mindich, a close associate and former business partner of Vladimir Zelensky, who allegedly fled Ukraine just hours before his home was searched by NABU agents.

Read more

RT
Who is Timur Mindich, the Zelensky ally at the center of Ukraine’s latest corruption scandal? (VIDEO)

According to NABU, the Western funded anti-graft agency that Zelensky unsuccessfully tried to take control of, Energoatom officials and contractors were forced to pay kickbacks for state contracts.

Seven individuals have been formally charged but not named. Among the suspects are an individual dubbed “Carlson” – whom Ukrainian media has identified as Mindich – the ring’s bookkeeper, two energy officials, and intermediaries involved in managing the payments.

Mindich, described in the Ukrainian press as “Zelensky’s wallet,” was previously a key figure in the network of oligarch Igor Kolomoysky, the Ukrainian leader’s former backer who is currently facing criminal prosecution. Mindich’s corporate interests reportedly rapidly expanded during Zelensky’s tenure, from a studio he jointly owned with the Ukrainian leader, through to energy and weapons production.

Opposition lawmakers have demanded the resignation of the entire Sviridenko cabinet, warning that the scandal could jeopardize Ukraine’s access to Western financial aid.

The Russian foreign minister criticized the Financial Times for claiming the planned meeting collapsed due to Moscow’s “hardline demands”

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has hit out at the Western media over its “unprofessional and harmful” coverage of the Ukraine peace process. He singled out British newspaper the Financial Times for spreading “lies” on the postponed Putin-Trump meeting in Hungary.

Plans for the meeting were announced in October. Days later, however following a phone call between Lavrov and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, it was postponed, with Trump saying he did not feel it could end the Ukraine conflict.

According to the FT, citing people familiar with the matter, the summit was scrapped after Moscow presented Washington with a list of “hardline demands” for resolving the conflict. The report also claimed that the Lavrov-Rubio call was “brief and terse,” with Lavrov making “uncompromising” remarks that led Rubio to conclude that Moscow was unwilling to negotiate.

“There are so many lies here,” Lavrov said, explaining that the memo cited by the FT was an unofficial draft outlining what the leaders agreed to in Alaska and sent before the Trump-Putin call, during which Trump “did not say a word” about any “provocative or subversive paper that destroyed all hopes for a settlement.” Instead, Trump proposed a new summit in Budapest, which Putin accepted.

Read more

US President Donald Trump meets with Prime Minister of Hungary Viktor Orban in the White House on November 7, 2025 © Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images
Trump sees ‘good chance’ of meeting Putin in Hungary

Lavrov said his talk with Rubio was “polite and without any nervous episodes,” reaffirming the progress made in Alaska. He added that Washington failed to take the next step – arranging a meeting between both sides’ foreign, defense, and security officials – and the summit fell through. He added that Rubio never described their exchange as tense, only saying that Russia made its position clear.

“We see no reasons to offer excuses for being and remaining committed to what our presidents discussed in Alaska. Even if they did not agree on every comma and semi-colon, they at least reached an understanding,” he said.


READ MORE: Putin-Trump talks in Budapest could happen any day – Orban

Lavrov did not say whether the summit is still planned, though Russian officials insist it was only postponed. Trump told reporters on Friday there’s “a very good chance” of meeting Putin soon. Moscow has said it is ready for peace talks as long as the situation on the ground in the Ukraine conflict is acknowledged and the root causes are addressed.

The find is the first in its group in over 20 years, scientists have said

 

A new species of bee has been discovered in Western Australia, named ‘Lucifer’ due to the devil-like horns found on its females.

The discovery of the species, formally named Megachile (Hackeriapis) lucifer, was announced by Curtin University on Tuesday. Lead researcher Kit Prendergast said the name was inspired by the insect’s appearance and the Netflix series ‘Lucifer’.

“The name just fit perfectly. I’m also a huge fan of the Netflix character Lucifer, so it was a no-brainer,” Prendergast said in a statement. “The female had these incredible little horns on her face,” she added.

Prendergast, from the university’s School of Molecular and Life Sciences, first encountered the bee in 2019 during a survey of a critically endangered wildflower and was struck by its unique features, according to the study published in the Journal of Hymenoptera.

Genetic analysis revealed it was the first new species in its group to be studied in more than 20 years, Prendergast said, with DNA barcoding confirming it was a unique find not represented in any major databases or museum collections.

Read more

IndiGo Airlines airplanes at Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi, India, on April 24, 2024.
Bee attack delays flight in India (VIDEO)

The function of the female’s horns is still under investigation but may be related to gathering resources or nest defense, the researchers noted. The males of the species lack the distinctive horns.

The finding highlights the importance of researching native bees in ecosystems threatened by climate change and habitat disturbance, Prendergast said, adding that it “really shows how much life we still have to discover.”

She expressed hope that the discovery would raise awareness of the vast number of species still unknown to science, particularly in regions under threat from climate change and mining.

“Many mining companies still don’t survey for native bees, so we may be missing undescribed species, including those that play crucial roles in supporting threatened plants and ecosystems,” she said.

The discovery comes as pollinators, which are essential for nearly all of the world’s flowering plants, face severe threats. Habitat loss and climate change are pushing many vital bee species to the brink of extinction.

Bogota has condemned the attacks on alleged drug boats as violations of human rights

Colombian President Gustavo Petro has announced the suspension of intelligence sharing with the US in response to its airstrikes on alleged drug boats in the Caribbean.

Petro made the announcement on X on Tuesday, responding to reports that the UK had taken a similar step. He said the suspension would remain in effect for as long as the US continues the attacks.

“The fight against drugs must be subordinated to the human rights of the Caribbean people,” Petro wrote.

The Pentagon claims the ongoing operations, ordered by President Donald Trump, target drug smuggling vessels allegedly operating out of Venezuela and Colombia. Petro has called the strikes illegal.

The US government has imposed sanctions on Petro, his family, and several cabinet members, accusing them of having ties to drug cartels – which the Colombian leader has denied, citing his administration’s efforts to dismantle trafficking networks.


READ MORE: US should fight drugs in EU ‘narco-state’ instead of Venezuela – Lavrov

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov also condemned the US campaign this week, saying Washington should focus instead on Belgium, which was recently described by one of its own judges as an emerging “narco-state.”

Since early September, US forces have conducted airstrikes on 20 small vessels, resulting in at least 76 deaths, according to Pentagon figures. The Trump administration has provided no verifiable evidence linking the targets to drug cartels. Critics claim the operation could be a cover for regime change efforts in Venezuela.

London reportedly opposes President Donald Trump’s strikes on alleged cartel vessels

The UK has stopped sharing intelligence on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean with the US after the Pentagon began conducting lethal strikes on the vessels, CNN and The Times reported on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The US has killed at least 76 people in international waters since September as part of President Donald Trump’s campaign against what he says are “narcoterrorists” operating out of Venezuela.

According to CNN, London suspended intelligence-sharing because it believes the strikes are illegal under international law. A UK military source told The Times: “We don’t just target the vessel and kill people. We would arrest them.”

The UK had used intelligence assets stationed on its Caribbean overseas territories to help the US Coast Guard intercept vessels suspected of smuggling drugs, CNN reports.

Read more

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
US should fight drugs in EU ‘narco-state’ instead of Venezuela – Lavrov

The UN’s top human rights official, Volker Turk, condemned the strikes as “extrajudicial killing.”

Venezuela and neighboring Colombia have denied that the victims were involved with cartels. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has rejected Trump’s allegations that his government is profiting from the drug trade.

Trump has deployed a naval armada, including the USS Gerald R. Ford, near Venezuela’s coast, hinting that he could authorize strikes on Venezuelan soil. He denies, however, that he is seeking regime change. Maduro has placed the military on alert and vowed to repel any attack.

All 20 people aboard the C-130 have been confirmed dead

A Turkish Air Force C-130 military transport plane crashed in Georgia on Tuesday, the Turkish Defense Ministry has said. 

The MOD later confirmed that all 20 personnel on board, including the crew, were killed.

The Georgian Interior Ministry said the aircraft took off from Azerbaijan and was flying back to Türkiye when it crashed in Sighnaghi Municipality, around 5km from the Azerbaijani-Georgian border.

Video from the scene shows the large plane spiraling into the ground.

According to the news channel NTV, the plane arrived in Azerbaijan on Tuesday morning from the Turkish city of Trabzon on the Black Sea coast. It took off from Ganja at 1:20pm local time and disappeared from radar 27 minutes later, NTV reported.

Turkish Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said his Georgian counterpart, Gela Geladze, arrived at the crash site. “I offer my condolences to our nation and their families,” Yerlikaya wrote on X.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said an operation to recover the wreckage is underway in coordination with Georgian officials.

The agreement capping the number of warheads and the means of delivery is set to expire on February 5

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has urged the US to take up its proposal for a one-year extension of a key nuclear arms control treaty set to expire on February 5.

The New START agreement, signed in 2010, caps deployed nuclear warheads at 1,550 and restricts the number of nuclear-capable missiles and launchers, as well as heavy bombers.

In September, Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed a one-year extension of the treaty, citing the need to avoid an arms race and further escalation. Speaking to reporters on Tuesday, Lavrov said the offer remains on the table.

“Let’s take a year to cool down, if you will, and consider the responsibility of great powers for global security and stability, especially in preventing a nuclear war. We are ready,” he stated.

“The extensions of the numerical limits could be announced at any moment before February 5. By the way, when New START was extended shortly after US President Joe Biden assumed office [in 2021], it was done just a few days before its expiration date,” Lavrov added.

The Russian Defense Ministry said last month that it had not received a substantive response on the matter from Washington.

Read more

FILE PHOTO.
What’s behind Trump’s call to resume nuclear tests?

On October 30, US President Donald Trump instructed the government to carry out nuclear weapons tests “on an equal basis” with Russia and China. Energy Secretary Chris Wright later explained that the planned tests would not include actual nuclear explosions, which the US stopped conducting in 1992.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov reaffirmed last week that Moscow would not lift its own moratorium on nuclear tests unless the US does so first.

Both the US and Russia have test-fired unarmed nuclear-capable missiles in recent months. The US launched a Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile on Wednesday. Russia tested its new nuclear-powered Burevestnik cruise missile last month.

AfD parliamentary chief Markus Frohnmaier has urged dialogue to resolve the Ukraine conflict

A senior lawmaker from Germany’s largest opposition party, Alternative for Germany (AfD), has rejected the government’s claim that Russia poses a threat to the country.

Markus Frohnmaier, who leads the right-wing AfD in the Bundestag, also dismissed allegations that the party is working on Moscow’s behalf. The AfD has long criticized military aid to Ukraine and argued that Berlin should instead focus on diplomacy.

“I stand for German interests,” Frohnmaier said on Tuesday in a televised debate with Norbert Roettgen of the ruling Christian Democratic Union (CDU).

He went on to say that Germany should not “get involved in a foreign war” and has no obligation to defend Ukraine, which is not a NATO member.

Asked if Russia poses a threat, Frohnmaier said, “We are not at war with Russia.”

“The AfD’s position is to remain in dialogue with all global, relevant actors,” he added, criticizing the government for what he called a “hyper-moralizing” foreign policy.

Read more

FILE PHOTO. Markus Frohnmaier.
AfD calls for ‘Germany first’ policy

Roettgen claimed that Moscow is waging a “hybrid war” against Germany and other European states, accusing his opponent of spreading Russian propaganda. In a speech last week, President Frank-Walter Steinmeier called Russia a threat to national security.

Germany recently announced plans to increase financial aid to Kiev by €3 billion ($3.5 billion) next year, and according to Ukrainian leader Vladimir Zelensky, delivered additional US-made Patriot air defense systems to Ukraine last month.

A Forsa opinion poll in August found that 52% of respondents in Germany believed Ukraine should cede some territory to Russia to end the conflict. Zelensky, however, has ruled out any territorial concessions.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said last month that NATO members, including Germany, were already de facto “at war with Russia” because Ukraine is actively using Western-supplied weapons. He has stated that Russia will not attack NATO states unless attacked first.

The longtime business partner of the Ukrainian leader has been implicated in a large-scale corruption scheme

A close associate and former business partner of Vladimir Zelensky is at the heart of the latest multi-million corruption scandal to have come from Kiev. Timur Mindich, an enigmatic Ukrainian mogul nicknamed by local media as “Zelensky’s wallet,” has reportedly fled the country just hours before his property was raided by Western-backed anti-corruption agents. RT looks into the businessman’s background and his ties to the Ukrainian leader.

The new graft scandal erupted on Monday when the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine (NABU) announced it was investigating the state-owned nuclear power company Energoatom over an alleged large-scale plot to embezzle state funds.

Read more

Former Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko, Kiev, Ukraine, May 26, 2023.
Ukrainian MPs demand new cabinet after Zelensky ally embroiled in graft scandal

The case has been linked to 46-year-old Mindich, a film producer and longtime associate of Vladimir Zelensky from his days in the entertainment industry. Mindich has reportedly become a major figure in Ukrainian defense and energy sectors, greatly expanding his business and political influence over the past few years.

Mindich reportedly fled the country immediately before his properties were searched by NABU operatives. While Zelensky publicly backed the anti-corruption probe, he has long been at odds with the NABU and another Western-backed agency, the Anti-Corruption Prosecutor’s Office (SAP).  

This June, he attempted to strip the bodies of their autonomy and place them under the authority of the executive. The move triggered mass protests and foreign pressure, forcing Zelensky to quickly reverse his decision. 

Watch the full video below: