Month: September 2025

The suspect has cast ballots in her pet’s name twice, the prosecutors say

A California woman has been charged with registering her dog to vote and casting ballots in her pet’s name in two elections, the Orange County Attorney General’s Office said on Friday.

Prosecutors said Laura Lee Yourex “self-reported” her actions in 2024 and now faces five felony counts. If convicted on all charges, she could serve up to six years in prison.

According to the statement, Yourex submitted a mail-in ballot under the name of her dog, Maya Jean Yourex, in the 2021 gubernatorial recall election, which was counted. She attempted to do so again in the 2022 primary election, but that ballot was rejected.

Read more

FILE PHOTO. A stack of ballots pictured on November 6, 2020 in Lawrenceville, Georgia, the US.
Trump teases executive action to overhaul voting system

In 2022, Yourex reportedly posted a photo of Maya wearing an ‘I voted’ sticker on social media. Two years later, she shared another post showing the dog’s tag alongside a ballot with the caption “maya is still getting her ballot,” even though the pet had already died, prosecutors said.

California does not require residents to present identification to register or vote in state elections, though ID is required for first-time voters in federal contests.

US President Donald Trump has argued that mail-in voting enables election fraud, and has vowed to ban the practice before the 2026 midterms. California is among 19 states suing to block his executive order aimed at tightening identification rules and restricting the counting of mail-in ballots.

The suspect has cast ballots in her pet’s name twice, the prosecutors say

A California woman has been charged with registering her dog to vote and casting ballots in her pet’s name in two elections, the Orange County Attorney General’s Office said on Friday.

Prosecutors said Laura Lee Yourex “self-reported” her actions in 2024 and now faces five felony counts. If convicted on all charges, she could serve up to six years in prison.

According to the statement, Yourex submitted a mail-in ballot under the name of her dog, Maya Jean Yourex, in the 2021 gubernatorial recall election, which was counted. She attempted to do so again in the 2022 primary election, but that ballot was rejected.

Read more

FILE PHOTO. A stack of ballots pictured on November 6, 2020 in Lawrenceville, Georgia, the US.
Trump teases executive action to overhaul voting system

In 2022, Yourex reportedly posted a photo of Maya wearing an ‘I voted’ sticker on social media. Two years later, she shared another post showing the dog’s tag alongside a ballot with the caption “maya is still getting her ballot,” even though the pet had already died, prosecutors said.

California does not require residents to present identification to register or vote in state elections, though ID is required for first-time voters in federal contests.

US President Donald Trump has argued that mail-in voting enables election fraud, and has vowed to ban the practice before the 2026 midterms. California is among 19 states suing to block his executive order aimed at tightening identification rules and restricting the counting of mail-in ballots.

With AI making its way into every facet of business, it’s fair to question the relevance of an MBA today. Rest assured, if you have an MBA or you’re considering one, it’s not just a solid investment, but a unique advantage in today’s AI-driven world. Advanced education programs, such as a Master’s, have not just […]

Source

Around 300 South Korean nationals were swept up in an immigration raid at a Hyundai plant in Georgia, Seoul has said

South Korea has lodged a protest after the US immigration authorities detained hundreds of workers at Hyundai’s electric vehicle manufacturing complex in Georgia.

The raid took place on Thursday at the construction site of a battery plant in Bryan County near Savannah, a joint venture between Hyundai Motor Group and LG Energy Solution that employs around 1,200 people. US Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) said the operation was part of an inquiry into unlawful employment practices.

The Atlanta office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives reported that 450 “unlawful aliens” were taken into custody.

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said around 300 of those detained were South Korean nationals, including employees of partner firms visiting on business trips. Many reportedly entered the US on short-term business visas or under the Visa Waiver Program, but the immigration authorities concluded that their activities at the site did not match the purpose of their stay.

Read more

FILE PHOTO: Migrants line up after crossing the US-Mexico border.
US secures deal to deport migrants to African state – CBS

“The economic activities of our investment firms and the rights of our citizens must not be unfairly infringed upon during US law enforcement operations,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday, according to local media. “We have also conveyed our concerns and regret through the US Embassy in Seoul, urging them to ensure that the legitimate rights and interests of our citizens are fully protected.”

The ministry added that President Lee Jae-myung ordered “an all-out response” to resolve the issue, with Seoul considering “trips to the US by high-level officials.”

US President Donald Trump has made illegal immigration a central focus of his administration, vowing to carry out the largest deportation of criminal aliens in the country’s history.

Around 300 South Korean nationals were swept up in an immigration raid at a Hyundai plant in Georgia, Seoul has said

South Korea has lodged a protest after the US immigration authorities detained hundreds of workers at Hyundai’s electric vehicle manufacturing complex in Georgia.

The raid took place on Thursday at the construction site of a battery plant in Bryan County near Savannah, a joint venture between Hyundai Motor Group and LG Energy Solution that employs around 1,200 people. US Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) said the operation was part of an inquiry into unlawful employment practices.

The Atlanta office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives reported that 450 “unlawful aliens” were taken into custody.

South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said around 300 of those detained were South Korean nationals, including employees of partner firms visiting on business trips. Many reportedly entered the US on short-term business visas or under the Visa Waiver Program, but the immigration authorities concluded that their activities at the site did not match the purpose of their stay.

Read more

FILE PHOTO: Migrants line up after crossing the US-Mexico border.
US secures deal to deport migrants to African state – CBS

“The economic activities of our investment firms and the rights of our citizens must not be unfairly infringed upon during US law enforcement operations,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday, according to local media. “We have also conveyed our concerns and regret through the US Embassy in Seoul, urging them to ensure that the legitimate rights and interests of our citizens are fully protected.”

The ministry added that President Lee Jae-myung ordered “an all-out response” to resolve the issue, with Seoul considering “trips to the US by high-level officials.”

US President Donald Trump has made illegal immigration a central focus of his administration, vowing to carry out the largest deportation of criminal aliens in the country’s history.

Backers of the banned group rallied on Parliament Square on Saturday

More than 425 people were arrested in London on Saturday for showing support for the banned activist group Palestine Action, the Metropolitan Police have said.

The group was outlawed under the Terrorism Act in June after its members broke into a military base and spray-painted two planes red in protest against Israel’s war in Gaza. Since then, its supporters have staged multiple demonstrations against the ban.

On Saturday, activists gathered on Parliament Square carrying Palestinian flags and signs reading “I oppose genocide. I support Palestine Action.”

Police detained people standing and sitting on the lawn, including several activists in wheelchairs. Some protesters were filmed scuffling with officers.

“In carrying out their duties today, our officers have been punched, kicked, spat on and had objects thrown at them by protesters,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Claire Smart said.

Protesters remained in Parliament Square until the evening. Defend Our Juries, the group that organized the rally, described the protest as “one of the biggest mass acts of civil disobedience in British history.”

Backers of the banned group rallied on Parliament Square on Saturday

More than 425 people were arrested in London on Saturday for showing support for the banned activist group Palestine Action, the Metropolitan Police have said.

The group was outlawed under the Terrorism Act in June after its members broke into a military base and spray-painted two planes red in protest against Israel’s war in Gaza. Since then, its supporters have staged multiple demonstrations against the ban.

On Saturday, activists gathered on Parliament Square carrying Palestinian flags and signs reading “I oppose genocide. I support Palestine Action.”

Police detained people standing and sitting on the lawn, including several activists in wheelchairs. Some protesters were filmed scuffling with officers.

“In carrying out their duties today, our officers have been punched, kicked, spat on and had objects thrown at them by protesters,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Claire Smart said.

Protesters remained in Parliament Square until the evening. Defend Our Juries, the group that organized the rally, described the protest as “one of the biggest mass acts of civil disobedience in British history.”

The French president’s rating has sunk to record lows amid a budget deficit

Thousands marched through Paris on Saturday, demanding the resignation of President Emmanuel Macron and calling for France to leave the EU.

Macron’s approval rating has dropped to the lowest level since he took office in 2017, amid a spiraling budget deficit and growing discontent with his government’s financial policies.

Around 80% of French people say they do not trust Macron, according to a poll conducted for Le Figaro and published on Wednesday.

Trust in Prime Minister Francois Bayrou, the fifth to hold the post in less than two years, has also fallen to record lows.

Protesters carried placards reading “Let’s stop Macron, let’s stop the war” and “Frexit,” a French play on Brexit.

The rally was organized by former National Rally politician Florian Philippot and his Euroskeptic party, the Patriots, which opposes arms deliveries to Ukraine and warns against further escalation with Russia.

Left-wing activists and trade unions are planning separate strikes and protests on Wednesday, with the slogan ‘Let’s block everything’.

Bayrou is facing a no-confidence vote on Monday as he seeks support for his proposed budget, with France struggling under a fiscal deficit of 5.8% of GDP – nearly double the EU’s 3% limit. His plan includes cuts to public sector jobs, welfare programs, and pensions, measures the opposition has denounced as prioritizing military spending over social support.

The French president’s rating has sunk to record lows amid a budget deficit

Thousands marched through Paris on Saturday, demanding the resignation of President Emmanuel Macron and calling for France to leave the EU.

Macron’s approval rating has dropped to the lowest level since he took office in 2017, amid a spiraling budget deficit and growing discontent with his government’s financial policies.

Around 80% of French people say they do not trust Macron, according to a poll conducted for Le Figaro and published on Wednesday.

Trust in Prime Minister Francois Bayrou, the fifth to hold the post in less than two years, has also fallen to record lows.

Protesters carried placards reading “Let’s stop Macron, let’s stop the war” and “Frexit,” a French play on Brexit.

The rally was organized by former National Rally politician Florian Philippot and his Euroskeptic party, the Patriots, which opposes arms deliveries to Ukraine and warns against further escalation with Russia.

Left-wing activists and trade unions are planning separate strikes and protests on Wednesday, with the slogan ‘Let’s block everything’.

Bayrou is facing a no-confidence vote on Monday as he seeks support for his proposed budget, with France struggling under a fiscal deficit of 5.8% of GDP – nearly double the EU’s 3% limit. His plan includes cuts to public sector jobs, welfare programs, and pensions, measures the opposition has denounced as prioritizing military spending over social support.

West Jerusalem was taken by surprise by the admonition, the Washington Post has reported

A public warning from the United Arab Emirates prompted the Israeli government to drop a planned discussion on annexing the West Bank, the Washington Post has reported. A senior UAE diplomat reportedly told Israeli media earlier this week that the move would be a “red line” that would block Israel’s path to regional integration.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was scheduled to discuss the issue at a major government meeting on Friday, according to local media. On Wednesday, UAE special envoy Lana Nusseibeh told the Times of Israel that annexation would “foreclose the idea of regional integration.”

“For every Arab capital you talk to, the idea of regional integration is still a possibility, but annexation to satisfy some of the radical extremist elements in Israel is going to take that off the table,” she stated.

The UAE was the first Arab nation to normalize relations with Israel in over a quarter of a century under the Abraham Accords brokered by US President Donald Trump during his first term in office.

Read more

FILE PHOTO: An Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank.
Israeli ministers call on Netanyahu to annex West Bank

The public warning from Abu Dhabi “came as a surprise,” an Israeli official told the Post, calling the situation “very unusual.”

On Thursday, the issue of annexation was removed from the Israeli ministerial meeting agenda, according to the newspaper.

Washington has not taken a stance on the issue so far. Secretary of State Marco Rubio described potential annexation as “not a final thing” earlier this week, adding that he was “not going to opine on that.”

The West Bank returned to the spotlight earlier this year after a group of Israeli ministers urged that the territory be formally annexed. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich claimed control could be asserted at any moment.

Israel seized the West Bank from Jordan in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war and has been actively building settlements there – which is widely regarded as illegal by the international community. It was close to annexation in 2020 but dropped the idea in exchange for normalizing relations with the UAE and Bahrain.